Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My Day Without Shoes

Yesterday, April 16, 2013, was A Day Without Shoes. This is a TOMS event that happens yearly, on said date.

If you know me, you know I never simply give money to a charity. I don't trust that it will go to the cause I'm supporting. I know not all of it does. No, I want to see it for myself. So I don't give money. I give time. I give shoes. I trust TOMS. I love what they do. By buying and wearing their shoes, I'm supporting the cause and spreading awareness by wearing their brand. (Which, also, if you knew me, I don't wear/buy brand name items either.)

If you don't know what TOMS are, I don't know where you've been for the past few years, but click on the name to go to the site. I'll wait while you browse.

Back?
Great!
Anyway, I was one of many students on my campus, and hopefully many elsewhere, who participated in yesterday's event. I would like to tell you how my day went.

I live in Starin, and work in Hyer, while walking to work, no one saw me. At work, no one noticed. Which is weird that no one said anything to me, since I work in an office. While at work, I decided to take a gander at the TOMS website myself. I bought a pair. Now, a kid somewhere, who doesn't have a pair of shoes to call their own, will be getting one. You're welcome sweetie.

Moving on. While walking back to my home, I stepped on a piece of glass and tripped over a rise in the sidewalk, scuffed my foot. My feet hurt, but that didn't stop me, I was raising awareness. I was supporting a cause.  I kept walking.

I went to class. Still, not a word from my peers. After class though, a friend asked me, "What's with the bare feet?" I told him about the significance of the day and he replied, "Oh, well, I'll have to take off my shoes when I get home then." Is that how people support causes these days? By sitting alone in their room? While no one else can see? I'd rather you not support, than support in fear. I kept walking.
While walking through my fancy, business building, a faculty member walked past me and said, "You lost your shoes! You lost your shoes! You lost your shoes!" Before she got to far, I tried to tell her what day it was. She kept walking and instead laughed at me. I kept walking.

When I got to my next class, my professor said, "No shirt, no shoes, no service." In my head, I thought, "Damn, I wore a dress today, guess I'm out of luck." And then another student said, "Yeah, seriously, where are your shoes?" I told the same thing I had told others. My professor smiled in understanding, my peer said, "Well, guess wearing my barefoot shoes was a good idea today." I should've said otherwise, but I only responded with a half-smile. In my head though, I screamed, "YOU'RE STILL WEARING SHOES!!!" But, I didn't want to start a fight or anything, so I kept my mouth shut.

No body said anything the rest of the day to me, but I kept walking. The entire day, shoes did not touch my feet. By the end of the night, my feet hurt a little, and I had to change up the way I walked, because the concrete kept scraping at the heels of my feet. It was worth it I think. The few people that I was able to tell learned a bit. They maybe didn't fully grasp the concept, but who knows, maybe someone will at least check out TOMS. Or buy a pair of shoes, or sunglasses, or any sort of memorabilia. That would be nice. To spread the word. That's all I aim to do.

I have no control over what you do, but I do have control over what you see.

On Tuesday, April 16th, 2013, I walked in someone else's shoes, by forfeiting my own.

<3 Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment