Thursday, April 18, 2013

Messages From the Disney Princesses

Today's post is in support of the Disney Princesses.

A lot of material I see these days protest the 'evil' messages that shape a child's views on life. Let me just raise this point right away. The lessons that you learn as a child should not be blamed on the TV and movies you are subjected to. It should be the way your parents/guardians have taught you to interpret those lessons and messages. If you are only seeing the negatives in something, then that is not the media's fault. It is yours and your elder's fault for not having an open and positive mindset.

As young individuals, our minds are like sponges, and soak up all the information that we are fed. As boys and girls alike, we watch those classic Disney movies and fall in love with their stories and their charm. THAT'S OKAY!

How we, as people, interpret those stories of our childhood is Not Disney's fault, and it sure as Hell ain't the Princess' fault! How DARE you?!

Now, is where I shall start my rant.

I read blogs, I see FaceBook posts, and I see Pins that consistently bash the messages these women of our childhood have brought to us. And to all you feminists out there over-analyzing and over-looking* everything in your life. Stop. Honestly, I just think you're jealous that you weren't born a Prince or a Princess. Sorry sweetie.

*When you over-analyze a certain subject, you over-look the big picture, and end up creating a false illusion of something that was never there to begin with.

Many say that the only things that the Disney Princesses teach children, is that you have to be beautiful to get by in life, or if you cry enough that someone will save you, or you should wait for some mysterious prince to save you from your horrible life. No. You're wrong. Shut up. I don't like you. Yes, you can have your own opinions, but in my opinion, I think yours is wrong.

Anyway!

I read a blog today, as part of some background research, and to get my blood boiling, (and boy was this the perfect way to do so). This woman brought up some Amazingly stupid points, and reading it only brought me to believe she had never seen the movies. The post is called, "4 Terrible Lessons from Disney Princess Movies." In all honesty, I think this girl was just having a bad day and tried to justify it by lashing out on others. Not cool lady. Not cool. So, here are just Some of the lessons I've learned from the Disney Princesses and their stories.

My lessons:

1.) Snow White taught me to be kind and see the positives in everything. She also taught me to have fun, enjoy life, leave those behind who don't treat you with respect, and sing as often as possible.

2.) Cinderella taught me to always have hope and to be patient. It's okay to let things bring you down every once in a while, but you Will overcome the hardships.

3.) Ariel taught me that in order to get what you want sometimes, you have to take risks and make sacrifices. She gave up her best asset just to have a chance with the Prince.

4.) Belle taught me not to judge a book by its cover. Under someone's harsh exterior is a past that you can't see just by looking at them. You have to be patient and bring those walls down.

5.) Jasmine taught me to stand up for my beliefs. She didn't like the life that was handed to her, and tried to make it her own. When Aladdin lied to her, she didn't forgive right away, he had to earn her trust back.

6.) Pocahontas told me pretty much the same thing as Jasmine. And, she made me appreciate canoeing. :)

7.) Mulan taught me how to prove people wrong and fight stereotypes!

8.) Rapunzel taught me to have faith in myself.

9.) Merida taught me to chase my dreams and have courage.

10.) Giselle taught me not to let the weight of the world get me down.


I feel like everyone should obtain these lessons and more from the princesses.

Also. Here's something I found on Pinterest today.

I am a princess. We all, are Princes(ses). We all deserve the title(s).

To this day, I find inspiration in these women, men, and movies in general. It's not hard to see the positive when you stop being a grudge.  

Sorry for making this so long. I actually even shortened a lot of it. I could go on forever.

<3 Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment