Monday, November 11, 2013

The Pressure to Eat Healthy

I started writing this post last night, soo as to make I didn't forget to express myself today. And, so while I'm at work waiting for my video file to finish processing, I shall finish it!

Backwards List of Food Intake As of Sunday:
As I am writing this sentence, it is 10:56pm. And I just ate a peppermint patty.


For dinner, I had a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.

For lunch, a quesadilla.

No breakfast.

Background Info:
I just, don't like eating 'healthy'. I eat what I want, where I want, when I want. I will eat in my bed, I will eat past 10pm, I will drink my milk, and I love fried foods. I'm from Wisconsin. At our state fair, we have fried butter... among other things.

In our professional development sessions, we learn how to take better care of ourselves. In one especially we got talked to by a Registered Dietitian. She told us about all of the foods we could eat, shouldn't eat, and definitely weren't allowed to eat. It was scary, it was depressing, it was demotivating. My first meal after though, I was determined to eat something healthy. It didn't work out too well. It was unknowingly spicy, and I had no milk to wash it down, because milk is naughty. After that, I. Was. Done. Forget about it.

Nothing ever works. I even saw that Food documentary, the really gross one that turns die-hard carnivores into vegans? The only thing I thought about during that film was, "Man, I could go for some fried chicken right about now." Does that make me heartless?

Why I Refuse:
It's not just because it's hard, or it doesn't taste good, or it's too expensive.. It's because of the pressure! If I choose to eat healthy, then it's a consistent effort to be conscious of my food choices! But if I manage to succeed at it, and then slip as soon as I crave a BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger with Sauteed Mushrooms, I become a failure. Then the guilt comes.

I gave in to temptation. Now I have to start all over. What will society think of me? Am I being judged? Would someone shun me for my poor food choices? I know it's weird to think this, but it happens!

Also, I'm lazy. I will come right out and say it. I. Am. Lazy. I hate working out. And I'm not athletically coordinated, so it's not like I have a creative outlet for my energy. My idea of a workout is walking up the stairs to class every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. (Those stairs will even knock the wind out of in-shape folks!) I don't even own a pair of tennis shoes. I don't want to spend $60 on a pair of shoes! Also, what happens when I Do go to the gym? That place is one giant room of intimidation. No way. I'm good where I'm at.

There's just too much pressure. But these not the only reason why I refuse.

Body Image:
I used to be terribly self-conscious of every aspect of my body. But I can tell you about all that later. That's not what this post is about. At this point in my life, I love my body. I've got great curves. I look and feel like a woman. I may be short, I have a bum that is next to impossible to fit a pair of jeans over, and I may only be able to shop at a few select stores shirts made big enough for my boobs, but small enough for my waist... but that's fun for me!

I wouldn't trade my body for anyone else's.

So why should I have to eat and act healthy for society? Why should I have to worry about eating brown rice versus white rice? Why should I not have both of those donuts? And why in the HELL, would I ever give up bread?! I have no allergies, I don't get headaches, my metabolism is great, I'm rarely sick, and I'm going to take advantage of my blessings for as long as I have them!

I'm totally and completely healthy!

To me, telling me to worry about what I put in my body and that I should be more active only worsens my body image. To me, making my feel guilty about eating the peppermint patty before bed, makes me feel unnecessarily guilty. To me, this is just another fad that I'm supposed to buy into! Well, let me tell you, I can't afford to make this purchase at this point in my life.

Courtesy of the "Being Liberal" FaceBook page.


Leave me alone.

Also, I'm ready for lunch number two. Or pre-dinner. Whichever you prefer. Either way, I'm digging in to some leftover Panda Express as soon as I publish this.

Don't tell me what to do!! >_<


Thanks for reading,
<3 Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment