Friday, November 22, 2013

"The Movie Just Wasn't As Good As The Book"

No sh!t, Sherlock!!

I'm Annoyed:
One of my biggest pet peeves is the title of this post, or some rendition of it.

"The movie just didn't give the book justice."

"I think the movie was great, but it left some things out from the book. It's a little upsetting."

You know what? Shuuuuut uuuuuppp!

I've Been Waiting for this Moment:
I have been wanting to post this for quite some time now. But I wanted to wait for the perfect time. And with the new Hunger Games movies out now, I feel this is it.

In the history of time, have you EVER heard someone say, "Wow! That movie/tv show/webisode was WAY better than the book. Ugh! The book is terrible in comparison!"

No.

No.

Just... No.

It doesn't happen.

You know why?

You can put more detail into a 600 page book than you can a 2 hour movie. When reading a book, you get into the characters' heads. You feel for them. You grow with them. You have more time to process their story. You can visualize the scenery, imagine the smells, you have so much more autonomy to create the story as you see it in your mind. You can take the 3 chapter walk through the woods and walk through the plot development.

If you wanted a movie to portray your book page by page, then it would end up being and 8 hour movie. Can you sit through that? I know I sure as heck can't!

Do you really expect to enter the movie theatre being blown away by the verbatim script from the book? Do you really expect that the director isn't going to try to make it Blockbuster worthy? They're trying to win awards, not copy someone else's work line by line!

Do you really want to hear intrapersonal dialogue of the main character?
"I saw the twig lying in the middle of my doorstep, and I knew at that moment someone had come to my door. But no one was around. So I instead went back into my house and made a sandwich." 
I don't know about you, but If I'm watching a movie, I'd much rather see Character open the door, look around, and shrug her shoulders as she walked away. It's a lot less annoying and a little less time.

This is why, I just don't read the books first. Especially if I know they'll be a movie. But by then, I've been annoyed that it's become more of a fad than anything and I don't want to read it anyway. But I know that's not the case for you, because you little to be fashionable. But that's another post (maybe).

You know you'll be disappointed in the movie, so why not wait for it to come out, be blown away, then read the book, and gain an uber amount of respect for it. This way, you don't get let down by other and you can appreciate both as separate entities, instead of getting your hopes up and becoming crushed later.

Doesn't that make So much more sense?!

It does to me.


Thanks for reading again y'all!
<3 Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment