Monday, September 2, 2013

Language Education in the United States

So, as you know, I just started my very first graduate school level classes. One of them, that I was extremely apprehensive about, is a class on the History of Higher Education.

Why would I be apprehensive about a History class? Oh, maybe because History was always a terrible subject for me and I don't think I ever got better than a C? Not acceptable in graduate school. Therefore, commence nervousness.

But, I read the first chapter, and it was really interesting! I can't believe that I thought so fondly of it. Weird. Who am I? Haha.

Anyway, so I was talking with a classmate via FB chat last night, and somehow we managed to get on this subject, and I started a rant session. So I figured I could blog about it. Why not share my opinion with the people of the internets? Kind of why I started blogging in the first place.

The Rant:
I saw in our History book that the first colonial colleges required students to know Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, but never required them to use it outside if the classroom or anything and so I thought to myself, "Wow, we effed up right from the beginning." The continuation of language began dying immediately. Textbooks were written in Latin, yet translation books for English conversion were at the ready for just about everyone. What's the point?

In France, students are required to learn not only their own language but, at least three others. We're barely required to take 2 years in HS, but nothing in college unless you actually planned on studying it. What kind of junk is that? Where did we go wrong?. Wtf? And people wonder why the French think they're better than us? They're more cultured!

In Quebec, children are required to learn French K-12. And only until they go to college, can they choose to attend either an English speaking institution or a French speaking one. Holding on to a culture that is theirs and theirs to keep. I appreciate that much of them, so freakin' much. You don't even understand. I wish we held those same values. But instead, we care more about whether or not marijuana should be legalized or not. Really? Good going, America.

Anyway, my dad never learned Spanish from his parents because they didn't want him to have a hard time in school. And that's precisely what's wrong with education these days. Children learn better from having more lingual influences. A dear friend of mine once stated in conversation, that if she didn't have both French and English in her dialogue growing up, school would have been more difficult for her. If she couldn't remember the word, "Notebook," she at least had the word, "Cahier," to fall back on.

Our country expects everyone to know English - inside and out of the country, yet we don't even know who the leaders of the UN are. Or who's topping the Spanish music charts. Because guess what, they know all about our music. But that's not important to us. Forget about everyone else. (Unless it comes to matters of sending 'aid' abroad. But that's another story and shall be told another time.)
Yet, when we enter the job force, it's more attractive for a person to be fluent in Spanish. Why? Shouldn't universities then be encouraging or requiring a spoken language? And if it's too difficult to learn at an older age, shouldn't we start young? There are studies out there people! Why don't we care?

It's a sad thing to think about. But then again. We can't even speak our own language correctly... -_-

At one point during my rant, my classmate brought up a good point. He stated, "Our schools in general are very restrictive. I think they limit far more than expand. But in my mind, that's why we're here...to do out part to make it better." Wise words. Wise words.

I think I'm going to have a great semester discussing these ideals with classmates, but why not get your opinion on the matter?

Share if you'd like, you're always welcome.

Thanks for reading,
<3 Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment