Sunday, September 15, 2013

Speed Limits In Texas

Is that what they're called here?

I don't think they actually have a real name.

I think, there are signs, with numbers posted along the road, just to make it look like Texas is following some kind of code of driving...

But, I don't think they're actually called Speed Limits.

No. 

Because NO ONE... goes the speed limit... in Texas.

When I'm driving to and from someplace, I know the speed limit is 40, but then I look down at my speedometer to see that I'm actually only going 30. So I think, "Oh shoot, better speed up!" Nope. Because as soon as I look back up, I see that everyone around me is also going 30. And I'll crash into someone if I go the actual speed limit.

When I'm driving to Target. Trust me. I know, that the speed limit is 65mph for most of the way there. I go there often enough. I can tell you every single store in that strip mall. I can tell you the order of the speed limits that occur on the way to Target. (Or Starbucks, because that's over there too.) But this neither the time nor post for that.

Hello, my name is Tawny, and I do NOT have a shopping addiction. 

I don't. I just, like to shop. 

Anyway, twice so far, on the way to Target/Starbucks, I've been driving along, and had to slam on the breaks, because there's a traffic jam, because at least one lane and an exit are blocked off due to an ACCIDENT! Hm. I wonder why. Just kidding. I'm lying. I bet you I can tell you why accidents are frequently occurring on the Marsha Sharp somewhere in between the Quaker and Slide Road exits.

Let me put something into context for ya. I tend to have a bit of a lead foot sometimes. Well, maybe not a lead foot... maybe more so a tin foot. (Tin is further up on the periodic table. It weighs less, but I think it's still heavy.) Anyway, so I'm known to speed a little, sometimes, when I know I can get away with it. Sorry not sorry. 

So, I find myself frequently driving down the Marsha Sharp, and I look around. I'm passing people up. What? I must be speeding. I should slow down. Nope. Chuck Testa. (That's a reference. YouTube it.) I check my handy-dandy speedometer to see how much I must slow down. I'M GOING 50MPH!! What?! NO! Yes. I found myself whipping past folks, going way under the speed limit. That's what people do here!

People in Texas, or maybe it's just Lubbock, but I'm okay with generalizing this one time, Never go the speed limit. It's either 15mph under, or 20mph over...  That's, probably why I've seen 2 accidents, in the same spot, within the last two weeks. Yes, indeed.

Folks. That sign with the number on it, is there for a reason. Go that number!

But it doesn't happen. You know why this is? Because there isn't a proper Driver's Education Road Test! No. I've talked to folks who are born and raised in Texas, (different parts) and all have informed me, that they didn't even need to get behind the wheel with a professional to be graded on their road sign reading skills, blinker usage, or parking techniques.
I'm not kidding.

People wonder why I have driving anxiety. People wonder why it has gotten even worse here. New town. Biggest city I've ever lived in. The GPS doesn't know where anything is. And People Don't Know How To DRIVE!!

GAHHHH!!!



I guess, on the plus side... when I don't know where I'm going because everything is new to me, and I'm driving a little slowly, (in my opinion) I don't feel quite as much of an A-hole for taking my time. So thanks, you wonderful Texans. ;)


Thanks for reading,
<3 Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment