Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Search for Graduate School: Part 7

The Final Installment

First Time Flying:
No, I've flown before, just never by myself. I've at least always had my parents, or friends with me before. This was the first time with just me. Everything was booked and payed for so I didn't have to worry about that, but still, I was paranoid about not finding the right gate, or not making it on time, or getting in the wrong lane, or having to use the bathroom at the wrong time, or just missing my flight altogether. So before I got to the airport, I hoped to maybe make an airplane buddy who I could pair up with and we could look after each other. Well, that didn't really work out too well.

I suck at small talk and everyone else puts up the, "Don't talk to me," vibe. So, I ended up just reading and napping on the first flight. Then I connected flights. Sat next to an old man who, I believe, read an entire newspaper in one sitting. What a champ. Then the flight attendant began reading off destinations and gate numbers for possible flights other people may have been going on after the current one.

We were sitting all of the way in the back and I was in the aisle seat. I wanted to know if I was going to be needing to get up or if maybe I could keep my flight buddy. Even though we didn't talk at all, I knew he was a nice guy and I didn't mind sitting next to him. So, I began a conversation.

Nice Old Man:
In total, our conversation lasted only about ten minutes, but it's one I'll never forget. In that short amount of time, I found out he was a pastor who lived somewhere in or around Dallas, TX. That's where he was getting off. I guess I wasn't keeping my flight buddy.

He found out where I was headed and I told him it was for an interview. He told me I would love where I was going and he just knew that I would do really well. He told me, "There aren't a lot of trees there. It not a very pretty city. It's also pretty windy. But it's still pretty nice there. I think you'll love it." Then he proceeded to say, verbatim, "When God created the world and he got to West Texas, he ran out of trees. So instead, he placed a lot of good people there."

As soon as he left that plane. I wrote those words down in my notebook, just so I could remember them.

The Interview(s):
My first interview was at 9am the next day. For one of my interviewers, it was his last day, and his last duty ever, was to interview me. How special is that? The first question asked of me was, "How was your flight in?" So I told them my little story, and the pastor's quote. Mr. Last Day started to tear up. I had never seen that in an interview before. He started fanning his face, and his eyes began to gloss up. "Next question please," I said. He said it made his day. I was glad I could do that for him.

Throughout the day, I fell in love with the campus. I learned about it's traditions, I learned about the people, I met the people, and I loved how sweet and caring everyone was. The old man was right. Everyone was so nice. I felt included and a part of the team and I was still only a candidate.

In my student interview, they told me they were impressed by my answers and had never been asked the questions I had asked them before. They were simple questions. Questions not for me, not about the job, not about the grad program, but about them. Questions I had asked throughout the whole process. Questions I thought were common place, yet had never been asked of them. I found it interesting.

Anyway, by the end of my weekend stay, I knew in my heart, that School E was the place for me. (rhymes!) Now I just needed to actually get the job.

The Waiting Game:
I was told I would have to wait a whole Week before any decision was made on my candidacy. Great. If there's any game I hate more than Monopoly, it's the waiting game. And I REALLY hate Monopoly.

I waited two days only.

I GOT THE JOB!! Contingent on my acceptance to the Graduate School. Agh. More waiting.

A week later, I GOT ACCEPTED!!

You guys. The moment we've all been waiting for...

Drum-roll Please!:
I will be attending the Texas Tech University, getting my Master's degree in Higher Education, whilst working as the Graduate Assistant for Recruitment and Training.

I am So relieved. And So excited. And just... the thousands of words in the English dictionary can't describe my feelings.


I move in a week.



The End

Thank you so much for your support in reading this blog and following my story. It was a long one, but I'm finally done dragging you along. Tomorrow, I will be posting any answers to any of your burning questions about what's happening next in my life.

If you have any questions in particular that you want to know, just in case I don't think of it, ask me.

Comment below. Facebook me. 

Text me. Tweet me.  If ya wanna ask me. If you wanna page me it's okay. (See what I did there?)

Love,
Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment