Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Fun My Last Name Comes With

So, all of my life, people see my last name, and assume that I speak Spanish. Why? Because my name is Martinez?! I don't see the names O'Brian or Russo and assume you speak Irish or Italian, respectively. No!

Anyway, I want to share some recent correspondence I had with a company via my school email.

I received an email Sunday night, from one person, from one company. I will leave out the name of everything so as to avoid any future issues on my end. And, also to keep their pride up a bit.

-First Item-

Subject: Immediate Need for Spanish Interpreter
Date: Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:13 PM
Text: Hello, 
I found your contact on the University’s directory.  We are currently looking for fluent, preferably native, Spanish speakers for freelance interpretation jobs with healthcare organizations in the surrounding [CITY] suburban area.  Job pays $25/hr and .25/mile
I have an immediate need for an interpreter on:
5/21/13 at 830AM 5/23/13 at 8AM
5/28/13 at 330PM
5/30/13 at 445PM
All in [CITY]. 
No experience necessary.  Healthcare background helpful but not required.  Must have reliable transportation.   
Excellent part-time work while studying.  If interested, please contact me ASAP for more details.
If you are not available or if this message is not applicable, your referral would be very helpful and very much appreciated.
Thanks,
(Here's where I get irritated, so I replied to the message in the most kind and professional way I could muster.)
-Second Item-(My reply)

Text: Hello,
I apologize, but I do not speak any Spanish and I do not know of anyone in the area who would I could refer to you. My university has a website called HawkJobs where employers can post jobs for seeking students. There, you can also check resumes and contact students who have the qualifications that you are looking for.
Thank you,
Tawny

-Third Item-
Subject: Spanish needed for medical interpretation job on 5/28/13, at 8:15AM
Date: 
Monday, May 20, 2013 3:37 PM
Text: Hi,
I found your contact off the University’s website. We are a language company and we are currently in need of a Spanish interpreter for 5/28/13 @8:15am in [CITY]. Job pays $25/hr and .25/mile. No experience necessary, just needs to be native or near native Spanish speaker and fluent in English. Medical background helpful.
Please let me know if you can help or can refer someone.
Thanks

(Now I'm upset)
-Fourth Item-(My reply)
Text: Hello,
I have already received an email from one of your colleagues and I have supplied my answer. My response to a second email from your organization shows a lack of organization and communication. I apologize, but I do not speak any Spanish and I do not know of anyone in the area who I could refer to you. Also, I don't think I would refer someone on the manner that business is conducted at [COMPANY]. I find it somewhat offensive that I am receiving this email once, let alone twice, because I am sure you saw my last name and noticed a Hispanic background. Yes, this is true, but neither myself nor my family speaks Spanish. 

For your benefit, I have provided some information that you and your organization can look into and use for the future.

My university has a website called HawkJobs where employers can post jobs for seeking students. There, you can also check resumes and contact students who have the qualifications that you are looking for.

Thank you,
Tawny


What do you think about all of this? Am I being too harsh, or am I responding in the correct manner? In my opinion, receiving these emails is worse than getting Spanish telemarketer phone calls. Does anyone else ever have this problem?

Either way, though I'd share this with ya.

'Til next time,
<3 Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment