Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I am a Bit of a Grammar Snob. Deal

It's understandable if you don't understand math or science. It's understandable if history facts get jumbled in your mind. It's okay that you can't remember the difference between a metaphor and a simile.





What's not okay is that simple grammar, lessons that have been drilled into our heads since we started school, are easily forgotten because it's, "too hard." :(

Human please! It's not hard, you're just being ignorant. Stop that!

Slap yourself on the hand for me.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Jess: Hey Jon, how are you?
Jon: I'm doing well; much better than yesterday. How about yourself?
Jess: Quite well. I was wondering, is this sweater yours? It was left in my living room last night.
Jon: No, it isn't mine. Maybe it's Tom's sweater.
Jess: I didn't think Tom brought a sweater.
Jon: You're crazy, Jess. That sweater must be your brother's then.
Jess: I really don't think so.
Jon: If it's not yours or your brother's, then it has to be Mick or Stan's.
Jess: Maybe you're right. I'll have to ask them if it's a sweater of theirs.
Jon: Good idea. Ask them, and I'll see you over there soon.
Jess: Oh! They're over there too! Let's just walk together!
Jon: That is just too funny! Well, I guess it's time to make our move.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Wow, that was a really boring conversation that I made up. But I hope that it gets my point across.

It's so easy to remember these rules. I don't understand why no one can get it right, ever.

If you seriously need help. Think about it this way. In order to ease your heavy brains that are filled with so much other muy importante information, learn one rule per word-set, and then think to yourself, am I using this word correctly?

You're = You are: If you are not saying "you are," then don't use you're.
There = A location: If you are not talking about where something is, re-evaluate
Too = Also: If you are not including something into the convo, then just use to.
Than = Comparison: Ex: I am better than you.

As for the rest, figure it out. Otherwise, don't use contractions and what not. The English language has 1,019,729 words for you to choose from. I'm pretty sure that you have options.

It's not that difficult. We've been learning about it since kindergarten. I don't care if you can't remember Pythagorean's Theorem. I don't care if you can't remember the date the Magna Carta was signed. But simple grammar? People who have learned English as a fourth language know it better than you.

You should be ashamed!

That is all, for now.

<3 Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment