Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Graduate School Update

I'm about halfway through my first semester as a graduate student in the Higher Education program at Texas Tech University.

I figure it's a good time to do some reflection.

So far, it's been an amazing experience for me. I won't talk about work, or my personal life, because there's just too much for me to talk about. I will say though, that I've met some amazing people in which I can't wait to see where our friendships take us, and I'm seeing some great things happening in the workplace and I love being a part of it.


Having A Cohort:
I remember when I was interviewing with schools at OPE, the word cohort was dropped as if it should have been in my vocab for years. It was not. I didn't understand what that was even through my first on-campus interview. I would just smile, nod, and say, "This sounds great!"

For those of y'all who may be in the position I was in: Basically, a cohort is a group of students that take the same classes together from the beginning of the program, to the end of the program.

I love this, because already, my cohort has begun to build an amazing bond with each other that I don't think would have happened otherwise. We actually want to hang out outside of class. Who does that?! Cohorts. That's who. I'm so excited. (We're planning a get together for this weekend!)

In class, we take turns making fun of each other, and then flip sides to back each other up. Because we're comfortable with each other, and it's great. I love it.

Classwork:
Sucks. But at the same time, it's kind of fun. And maybe it's just because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but I Always stress out about an assignment thinking that I'm going to do terrible. Then I start panicking that I'm going to fail, get kicked out of the program, and have to move back to Wisconsin. Dear God, please don't make me move back to Wisconsin! Haha!

I freak out, work my big ol' butt off, think it's the best thing ever, turn it in, go back to freaking out about how I could have improved some aspect, stop caring, then get an email with my grade. Freak out again, check it, and it's either full points or close to it. I'm doing quite well! I'm just a worried, nut-ball.

But in all reality, I'm seriously enjoying my classes and the work I'm doing in them. I'm currently doing research in a field in which I know next to nothing about, and finding that there is actually not a lot of research in this area. Even though I'm finding it next to impossible to get what I need for my research, my professor in that class has provided me with nothing short of encouraging words that somehow take away any concerns and restore faith in myself. I have amazing support here and the faculty so far have been nothing but happy.

I can't wait to learn more in these upcoming semesters.

I'm also extremely proud to be a Red Raider.

<3 Tawny

2 comments:

  1. I am quite glad that things are going well for you. Also, why am I commenting here and not texting you? Because I think it will encourage others to comment and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I'm still hoping that you'll be able to visit me someday! :D

      Delete