Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Second Day of Grad School

"Wha'd'ya mean second day?! You didn't post about a first!"

Well tough cookies! Yesterday wasn't special and I don't think I need to be wasting mine or your time by blogging about my syllabus. We both have much more important facets of our lives. Am I right?

So anyway, like I said, yesterday I had my first class of grad school. The class is Student Services in Higher Education. Which, for all of you non-higher ed. folk, it basically means, 'learning about different departments.' Literally, we skimmed through the syllabus, introduced ourselves to the class and the professor, talked about our first assignment, and then peaced out. Nothing special. Whatsoever.

Today, I had Higher Education Seminar. Which, really, it's an intro class to research. Oh great, research, right? Wrong!

Sidenote: At this point, I'm about 85:15% leaning towards taking the thesis route. I don't know yet! I haven't defined it yet! So don't start asking me all of these crazy questions about it. Unless you have important advice that you need to tell me about. That is always welcome. :)

Anyway, I will have to agree, this class seems a bit scary. Very writing intensive. A lot of writing skills that I did not acquire as a business student prior to now, but I've learned that I am not the only one. Less scary. We have to write a research paper in this class. And, pretty much all of the assignments leading up to us turning in said paper, are basically just steps to writing it! Awesome.

Next week, we start by choosing a topic to start researching on. Not even writing yet, but just to begin gathering information. In the class we began talking about the general notions, workings, and ideas that go into a university, just from personal experiences. ALL OF THESE IDEAS ARE JUST FLOATING EVERYWHERE IN MY BRAIN!
- What am I interested in: A lot.
- What could I write about without hating it afterwards: I have no idea.
- Maybe I could write about an interest I may have for my thesis, and then expand from there?
- Is there enough to research on?
- Should I pick something that I don't Want to write a thesis on, and just use this class for practice? Maybe. I think that's the point, but still. So many options!

Nevertheless, we barely brushed the surface of what this class will be about, and I haven't even read anything for it. Which, by the way, I'm not looking forward to reading for Any class. I've always been opposed to forced readings. Which, is kind of how I feel about trending books. But that's another post for another time.

So, why didn't I wait to post about classes until tomorrow? I skipped one day, but talked about both, so not wait another day and talk about all three?
Tomorrow is History. Eff history. I'm least looking forward to this class. *shiver* Good thing it's being taken first semester and I can get it out of the way! But yeah, I probably won't have much to say about tomorrow. Who knows though.

Basically, I just wanted to tell you how excited I am to do some research. (Okay... Who kidnapped the real Tawny and can someone bring her back to Earth? This girl is freakin' me out...)

<3 Tawny



No comments:

Post a Comment