Friday, June 8, 2012

A Love/Hate Relationship with Facebook: Part 1

Facebook, and just about every other social networking site are corrupting all of society. Our society these days is so dependent on updating our pictures and profiles online that our worlds are starting to completely revolve around the internet. I won't pretend that I'm not a victim, because I am. I have a Twitter, a Facebook, two blogs, multiple email accounts, a Netflix, etc. I go on Lulztruck frequently. I check Questionable Content everyday Monday-Friday. I even do most of my shopping online. I can't help it. But the problem I'm finding is when Facebook even takes rule over the conscious mind.

I was hanging out with a friend and her sister  about a month ago, and overheard a conversation about a recent break-up. It was a normal convo until one of them said, "They've been broken up for a week now and his profile picture still has her in it. Don't you think that once you break up with someone you would change your profile pic?" Really?? That's what were concerned about? A picture? What about the well being of the two of them?!

Then of course, there's the whole relationship status factor. "It's not official until it's Facebook official." Oh? So nothing in my life is relevant or accurate until I put it on Facebook? My relationships don't count unless Everyone knows about it? Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know.


Do you not see how ridiculous this is?
One more thing for now. Birthdays. I kind of detest the people who see that it's someone's birthday, and nonchalantly posts Happy Birthday... Did you actually know that it was your so-called friends birthday, or did Facebook tell you to post a pointless message? No one likes getting 83 notifications when each post is the exact same thing. One. After. Another... If you're friends with them, at least make the message something personal. If you had absolutely no idea that their birthday was even coming up soon and you haven't even talked to that person on 1+ years, don't even bother. No one needs your fake friendliness. You wanna wish me a happy birthday, great, talk to me in real life two please? Much appreciated.

Don't be this person.

No comments:

Post a Comment