Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chivalry

What ever really did happen to chivalry? I don't mean the 80's romantic comedy kind that Emma Stone speaks of in the movie Easy A, and I'm not necessarily talking about opening the door for a girl while smiling in kindness as she nods her head in thanks. I know that kind of chivalry is out there. I've been blessed enough to experience it myself. I'm talking of the romantic side of things.

Courting. Getting to know a girl before you decide you like her.

Dating. Getting to know her further because you like her and you want to see if the two of you are compatible. Then, taking that next step further by entering into a committed relationship because you can see some kind of future and you want to learn everything about her. I feel like that doesn't happen anywhere except for in the media. In movies, love is portrayed as something that just happens. On t.v. romance is oversimplified with extravagant dates and candlelit dinners. Neither of those are real, but I have to believe that somewhere, somehow, forms of those are truly real.

Back in earlier times, men stood on the right side of a woman because if one were to throw their garbage outside of their window from the second story of an apartment building on top of a bakery, just as the couple were to walk past, then then man would risk his being to keep the woman from getting the flack.

Chivalry. Where is it?

Romance. It has to be out there somewhere. In the media, you see well thought out dates and plans to spark romance so that by the end of the night, a certain chemistry experiment will be brought to the test. A kiss good night. Simple, yet extremely important. I don't think I've ever had that. I have only once had a man ask me on an actual date before. That date brought the chemistry between us to life. It's been two years. Multiple guys have tried to get me to fall for them, to become my boyfriend, even the plausibility of marriage in the distant  future was brought up. Now, I'm not saying I haven't been on a date in two years, but with all of the chasing that's gone on, not once have I been asked on a proper date. Usually, it's me begging for a nice dinner date. It seems as if I walk into nothing but dead ends.

I don't need a John Cusack outside my window with a boombox, by any means. Although, it would be kind of cute. All I want, is a guy to say, "Tawny, I would like to take you out to dinner, and maybe afterwords go on a walk together." Is that too much to ask, or am I really just a hopeless romantic?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it's too much to ask because we all deserve that! I believe that there are men who still exist that are willing to be romantic, we just have to be patient and find them.

    ReplyDelete