Thursday, July 12, 2012

Tattoo Grief

You can still be beautiful with tattoos



FAIR WARNING: This post may become a little... crass. Remember, this is my opinion and my thoughts that I have decided to share with you. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you like it, share it. I want tattoo grief to be ended forever. Thank you.

First, let me just say that tattoos are art. They are a beautiful way to express an individual by their beliefs, defining moments in life, inspirations, memories, or even just something that makes them feel good. For all of you out there who judge people based off of the ink on their skin. Fuck You. If you don't like it, turn your head. For those people who think those with tattoos are dumb, uneducated, dirty, etc., shut the fuck up and let people be the people that they want to be.

Did you know, that there are Tons of people who have tattoos that you cannot see by simply looking at them because they may be hidden by hair, or a jacket, or jeans, or tennis shoes, etc. You think, wow, this person is super nice and down to earth.. Why does the perception have to change once the sleeve is rolled up? Would you change doctors if you found out that he had a sleeve underneath his coat? If you say yes. I dislike you highly...

For those of you who know me, I'm glad that you accept me. For those of you who don't, or think you do, newsflash: I have a tattoo. Actually I have four. They aren't visible unless I wear a tank top, a bathing suit, or have my hair up, so you probably would have never known. When I'm around my friends and coworkers, I'm free to be whoever I am.

In this next picture, a girl gets a tattoo and shares her new addition with her grandfather and he basically reams her out. When I read this, I almost cried. For someone to reject a family member for such a shallow matter upsets me so much. It's a horrible feeling, she had the courage to share herself and got rejected. Sadly, I fear that same thing with my own father. When I was 16, my dad told me that if I ever got a tattoo, he would personally take a potato peeler to my skin and get rid of it himself. So, I figured that I would never tell him when I did because I knew I had always wanted one since I was young. I have four now and I've managed to keep it a secret for quite some time. It tears me apart inside and I've wanted to tell him, but I never knew how. I honestly hope he reads this post. Maybe that would just be the easiest way.



A letter from a Grandfather to his Grandaughter
I think that's all I have for today. Thank you for reading.

~Tawny

No comments:

Post a Comment